Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Is she growing up?

The other day husband and I went to a department store with Bee. We were looking around for some new clothes for him. Bee and I branched off to go to the toddler section to look around. Once we got over there I was just browsing through the sale racks when her breath literally caught in her throat and she said "prea!" "Prea" is her word for princess because she can't say princess yet. Anyway, I look over and she is looking up at this wall of Disney Princess jammas like it was the golden grail! (is that the right analogy? Anyway, just imagine angelic music playing in the back ground and soft golden light on her face and you are there!) Then she held her little hands out and said, "mine." I thought to myself, crap! How am I going to get out of this? Then I saw the 50% off tag and realized that I didn't really have to get out of anything, we could afford it and she did need new princess jammas. (hear me still justifying it?) We wheeled over there and I let her pick out, for the first time, her own new jammas. She held onto those things through out the entire store until we left. I was afraid she wasn't going to let go of them to let me pay but she did. We got them home, washed them and got her dressed in them for night night. They came with slippers and a head band so we put it all on and took some pictures and even some video. I sent the picture out and later Nana called me and told me that Bee was looking more like a little girl and less like a baby. At first I was like, that's okay, she's not an infant or newborn anymore, she's a toddler. Well, I have been thinking about it since then and last night it really hit me. Every night I rock her a little before she gets into bed and some nights I get a little impatient with her because I am ready to relax and that means she needs to get to bed! Last night was different! I realized that, while she is still really young and basically still a baby, she is going to grow up. She won't always want me to rock her, she won't always want me to hold her and read her stories. Sad, right? So, I have decided that I will start being more.. in the moment with her at night night time. Or really anytime. I will start spending as much time as needed rocking her just so I have that much more time to hold her. Everyone keeps saying (which, by the way, is such a pet peeve, I will have to blog one day on all the unwelcomed, cliche, advice a new mom gets!) anyway, they say that the time flies by so I am going to try my hardest to enjoy every moment of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment