Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Screaming toddler and dirty looks: A stop at the store!

Well, coincidentally, tonight marks a definite first in my mommyhood journey! I used to be one of those people who always wondered how a mother could stand a child screaming! I mean, really, how could they just completely ignore the fact that their child is yelling and crying at the top of their lungs. I always thought, geeze, shut that kid up! Pick it up, do something! Tonight I was, for the first time, on the other side of that!
We stopped, myself and Bee, at a super store on the way home to pick up a couple of things. We started in the produce section where I made a huge mistake and asked Bee if she wanted me to get grapes. Grapes! Who knew the little, round, pieces of sweet goodness would turn my child into a meltdown having toddler! Anyway, she said "yes please" very politely and I picked them up and put them in the cart. She did not like that at all, she wanted a grape and she wanted it now! I tried explaining to her in between her shrill shrieks that we needed to wait to get home and wash them before she had one. That explanation, however, did not seem to work! The harder I tried to explain it to her the louder she screamed! I took her over to the dairy section, all the while she is screaming and crying, and tried to give her a cheese stick, one of her fave things but that only quieted her just long enough for me to rush through the aisles and get to the register! I started to look around feeling eyes on me as she started to ramp up again! I wondered then if people thought I was stealing this little girl or beating her the way they were looking at me! Then, I saw him, he was there with what had to be his wife or girlfriend and he was giving me the look of, "shut that kid up!" I had to stop myself from asking what it was exactly he was looking at! I literally wanted to say, "hey, have you never seen a kid crying before?" Then I realized, that must be what I looked like to other poor mothers just trying to get their melting down children out of the store! I felt horrible for a minute until my loving, sweet, beautiful daughter slapped me on the arm while still screaming bringing me back to reality. At that instant I wanted to say to the guy, "hey, instead of just standing there why don't you help me out! It will benefit both of us!" I realized that was unrealistic, he left, I paid and we were out of the store! I have to say, that guy had to deal with my kid screaming, yes, but only for a short time! I had to deal with it all the way home, getting into the house, while getting the stupid grapes out and washing them, putting them into the bowl for her and physically putting them in front her so she could see she was going to have the grapes!! Dude in line in front of me with the dirty look, check yourself because I definitely got the worse end of that deal! But at the same time I feel bad for him if he doesn't have or appreciate kids because it was totally worth it when she and I were on the couch just minutes later; she was eating her grapes and she leaned over, gave me the biggest hug and told me she loved me! Sorry, so worth the screaming! I definitely got the BETTER end of that deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment